Ten Things To Know: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo
Our Rapids play-by-play announcer, Richard Fleming, is renowned for being detailed in his preparation when calling MLS games, and he is offering us a little insight into some of his pregame notes.
Find below, some things you may find useful ahead of this Wednesday's home game against Houston Dynamo. We have coverage on Altitude and AltitudeNOW from 6.30pm.
- On September 9, 2017 these two teams met at then-named BBVA Compass Stadium, with the Colorado Rapids winning 1-0 courtesy of a stoppage-time goal from Dominique Badji. Stefan Aigner provided his first and only assist in MLS.
- That win three years ago was the Rapids’ only road win of 2017 (1-14-2) and the Dynamo’s solitary home defeat (12-1-4).
- The Rapids and Houston have met 30 times previously in the regular season. The Rapids have a narrow 11-10-9 advantage in the all-time head-to-head record. Recent history favors the Dynamo, who are unbeaten in their previous four meetings with the Rapids (0-2-2).
- This includes a 4-1 demolition of the Rapids at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park on March 30, 2019, in which the Rapids scored two own goals in a game (Axel Sjoberg and Keegan Rosenberry) for the third time in their history. They also had Tommy Smith sent off late in the game.
- Kei Kamara and Collen Warner have both previously played for Houston Dynamo. Kamara was there from August 2008 to August 2009, scoring seven goals in 32 appearances. His last game for the Dynamo was a 1-0 loss at DSGP. Warner made 24 appearances for Houston during the 2016 season.
- Houston have a player and a coach with Colorado connections. Maynor Figueroa made 10 appearances for the Rapids toward the end of the 2015 season, under club legend Pablo Mastroeni. Mastroeni, now assistant coach with the Dynamo, made a club record 225 appearances for the Rapids, between 2002-2013. He lifted MLS Cup as captain in 2010, and oversaw the best season for points (58) as head coach in 2016. He was head coach from 2014-2017.
- The Rapids are without a win in six games. This is their longest run without success since going 11 without a win to start the 2019 season (0-9-2).
- Houston are among the in-form teams in MLS. They have won three in a row, having not won in their previous six. (Take note Rapids fans).
- Ten of the 26 teams in MLS have yet to be awarded a penalty in 2020. Nine of the teams are in the Eastern Conference. The only Western Conference side without a penalty call in their favor are the Rapids. Their previous penalty was converted by Nicolas Mezquida, the decider in a 2-1 home win over LA Galaxy on 9/11/19.
- The Rapids are the only team in MLS still to register a shutout this season. Houston have two shutouts, which have both come during their six-game unbeaten run (3-0-3).