Ten Things To Know: Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids
Our Rapids play-by-play announcer, Richard Fleming, is renowned for being detailed in his preparation when calling MLS games, and he is offering us a little insight into some of his pregame notes.
Find below some things you may find useful ahead of Sunday's final game of the regular season, away at Houston Dynamo. We have coverage on Altitude and AltitudeNOW from 4.30pm.
- Colorado Rapids are 4-3-1 on the road in 2020. They have not won more than four road games in a season since 2011 (6), though of course when playing a full schedule. The 2011 season was the first 34-game season, which included 17 on the road.
- If he starts on Sunday, Sam Vines will be the only player on the Rapids’ roster to have started all 18 regular season games. He has played every minute of the 17 games so far.
- All Eastern Conference teams will play 23 games, the maximum number scheduled. Houston will be one of just four teams in the Western Conference to play 23 games (VAN, SJ, POR).
- The Rapids are without a win in the last five against Houston (0-2-3). Prior to that they were unbeaten in four (3-0-1). Their last win was 9/9/17, their only road win and the Dynamo’s only home loss that season.
- Houston’s first-ever game in MLS was against Colorado Rapids on 4/2/2006. Brian Ching scored four in a 5-2 win at Robertson Stadium. Brian Mullan had two assists in the game. Dwayne De Rosario assisted all four Ching goals. Pablo Mastroeni was sent off for two bookable offenses.
- Christian Ramirez was the only US-born player in Houston’s starting XI for last weekend’s 3-0 loss at FC Dallas.
- Colorado Rapids are still the only team in all of MLS yet to be awarded a penalty this season. The next penalty scored would be the 90th converted in club history. They had eight penalties in 2019. The fewest they have previously had was two (2001, 2015, 2017). They enjoyed a club-high 10 in 2014.
- The Dynamo have had four penalties and four different takers: Quintero 0-1, Manotas 0-1, Elis 1-1, Ceren 1-1.
- Houston went unbeaten in six, from end of the MLS is Back tournament to meeting COL on September 9. Including the tie at DICK’S Sporting Goods Park, they have one win in the last 13 (1-7-5).
- Darwin Quintero has a chance to become the first player in Dynamo history to lead the club in both goals and assists in the same season. He has seven goals and 10 assists.