The Gimme 5ive campaign aims to raise awareness of proactive steps that men and women can take every month in an effort to provide early detection and/or prevention of common cancers and other diseases.
Gimme 5ive Health Focus for October:
- The flu season typically runs from October to March.
- Anyone 6 months old all the way to the elderly should get the flu vaccine.
- According to the CDC, people with flu are most contagious in the first 3-4 days after their illness begins.
- ARTICLE | Be prepared: How to stay healthy this flu season by Jessica Ennis for UCHealth.
- The number one thing you can do is get the flu shot every year, right before the season starts.
- Here are some other ways you can prevent the flu:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Keep frequently-touched surfaces clean
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth
- Avoid close contact with other people who are sick
- If you are sick, stay home and don’t spread it
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Pledge to get a shot. This is one of the few vaccines available for a virus.
- UCHealth Primary Care will be giving away 150 flu shots on Sunday October 6th at Pepsi Center as part of the Avs 5K event. Participants and spectators welcome.